Comune di Conegliano

Piazza Cima, 8 - 31015 Conegliano (TV)
Tel.: 0438 4131 Fax: 0438 410564

Appuntamenti di 4/8/2021

see item in detail


Known for having given birth to the famous painter Giambattista Cima, which one can still admire in the Cathedral in the splendid altarpiece depicting the "Sacred Conversation", Conegliano rises in a privileged position close to the Treviso Pre-Alps.

The historic center, the ancient Contrada Granda, built mainly along Via XX Settembre and Piazza Cima, is home to numerous Renaissance palaces with decorations in carved stone and frescoes, and Palazzo Sarcinelli, the home to the city's art gallery and many cultural events and the Duomo and the Sala dei Battuti.

On the hill, close to Piazza Cima, stands the Castle, which can be accessed through picturesque walking routes, along the ancient Carrarese walls. The Castle, symbol of Conegliano, splendors in a panoramic position, from which you can admire the view of the wide piedmont scenery, from the UNESCO Dolomites to the Venice lagoon.
Conegliano is today, the second most inhabited center of the province, after the provincial capital Treviso.

Favored by the central position between Venice, Udine and Cortina, the city has developed the industrial sector over time, becoming the reference point for the Inox Valley District (in particular with the production of household appliances (Zanussi, then Electrolux, others), the tertiary sector and the agricultural sector, together with Valdobbiadene, have become the reference point for the Prosecco Superiore District in Conegliano Valdobbiadene DOCG, elected in July 2019 Heritage Site .

The important development of the wine sector, is also due to the presence in Conegliano of the Enological School, the oldest in Italy and of Europe (founded in 1876 by GB Cerletti). From here started the first Italian wine itinerary, the “Strada del Prosecco e Vini dei Colli Conegliano Valdobbiadene” (1966), to which was added the more recent “Strada dei Vini del Piave”.

The strategic position is thanks to the proximity of the main connecting routes, of two efficient airports (Treviso and Venice) and the vast array of hotel facilities, that have allowed an ease in the influx of tourism linked to food and wine, wellness and nature and the art and cultural heritage.

Conegliano is home to numerous events that animate the historic center throughout the year. Among the most representative, the Dama Castellana in June, where ancient battle scenes are brought to life with reenactments of knights in shining armor, ready to challenge each other in hopes to win the damsels.

In May the Primavera del Prosecco and In August, Calici in the Castle allows you to taste the local food and wine specialties. In September lives the Coneglianese Autumn, with Painters in the Contrada, the Automotive Expo and the Grape Festival. In December the historic center is animated by the characteristic Christmas Market.

LIVING HISTORY: The Castle Museom: Civic Museum is actually composed of: the art gallery and lapidary room which has a collection of frescoes, and inscribed tablets including the lion chiselled by the French on the homonymous door (1797); the room known as “the Fireplace Room or Kitchen”, for its big Doge horn-shaped chimney which hovers over the fireplace, where besides armours and furnishings in late-Renaissance style there are also six standard weights of the Republic of Venice for the control of liquids, grain and other products.

The Contrada Grande – the present via XX Settembre – was formerly surrounded by the city walls and could be reached through three gates: The Rujo gate to the west, the Monticano gate to the east, and the San Polo gate to the south. The one that is best preserved of the three is the Monticano gate and from here our itinerary begins.

In The Duomo (the Cathedral) of the city can be found in Contrada Grande, its construction was started by the Battuti in 1345. They were members of a congregation which originated around 1260 in Umbria and already a few years later they were present in Conegliano, distinguishing themselves not only for the care of the spiritualitty of the inhabitants but also for their material assistance offered to the hospitals and hospices founded by them. Initially they were hosted by the monks from Pomposa of Santa Maria di Monte, situated along the road which leads to the castle in the area now occupied by the villa Chisini, but by 1354 they built their own church named S. Maria Nuova Dei Battuti. This church was in the centre of a hospice for pilgrims which was also run by them. Conegliano’s fame is tied to the painter Giambattista Cima, who was born in 1459/60. He belongs to that magical period of the Italian pictorial art of the Renaissance. Even today it is difficult to reconstruct exactly the artist’s life, his date of birth is still uncertain.

The Ex convent of S. Francesco: The numerous religious orders which originated in Conegliano starting from the XI century, played an important role in the aid and in the economic growth of the city. Among these emerged the Friar Minors of Saint Francis whose presence goes back to the beginning of the 13th century

The city of village Jewish Conegliano: Nowadays there no longer remains any structure of the ghetto apart from the inscribed memorial tablet inaugurated in 1997 in the presence of Rabbi Toaf. However in Jerusalem it is still possible to see the Synagogue of Conegliano rebuilt with the ornaments taken there in 1954 and still functioning as an Italian rite Synagogue.

EVENTS: - Dama Castellana: in june, in the heart of the city. it's the draughts with characters in Renaissance custom

We are here


Strada del Prosecco e Vini dei Colli Conegliano Valdobbiadene - P.I. 03780230268 | cookies | privacy | © 2003 - 2021™

Logo PSR

Fondo europeo agricolo per lo sviluppo rurale (FEASR)